2013-ongoing | ca. 35′ | stereo for headphones and multichannel versions | live performance
unheard, out of earshot, indistinct, imperceptible, hushed, faint, low, infrasonic, muted, soft, muffled, murmured, quiet, whispered, muttered, mumbled, silent, soundless, still, noiseless, unclear, ultrasonic
[in]audible is a work based on the exploration of hidden acoustic spaces and non-human listening modes. Extended recording strategies have been used to amplify a variety of acoustic phenomena in the thresholds of human perception. The source materials used in the composition include VLF radio, electromagnetic signals, structural vibrations, infrasonics, ultrasound, close up, contact mic and hydrophone recordings.
All the original source recordings were made in natural and built environments at multiple locations in Spain, The Netherlands, Germany and Slovakia during the period 2008-2012.
Originally commissioned by FONair (Cumbria, UK) as a radio piece for headphones. Premiere broadcast in January 2013. Further live versions (4, 8 and 16-channel) performed at multiple events.
Listen with headphones.
– Hipersonica 2016, FILE: electronic language international festival, São Paulo, Brazil :: headphone version exhibition
– MWW – Wroclaw Contemporary Museum, Wroclaw, Poland :: opening exhibition ‘Silence of Sounds’ – 4-ch live performance
– Kinošiška, Ljubljana, Slovenia :: 4-ch live performance
– microvolumes 3.33 – Sonoscopia, Porto, Portugal :: 4-ch live performance
– (h)ear XL II – kuS, Heerlen, NL :: headphones exhibition
– Invisible Places : Sounding Cities Symposium – Viseu, Portugal :: 8-ch installation
– HP9 – London, UK :: 4-ch live performance
– sound.art.event – MKII Gallery, London, UK :: 4-ch live performance
– Acoustic Ecology Symposium – Kent University, UK :: headphone version exhibition
– Hidròfons III – L’Estartit, Girona, Spain :: 16-channel live performance
– European Acoustic Heritage – Arqueological Museum Campo Lameiro, Pontevedra, Spain :: 4-ch live performance
– Sonorities Festival 2013: Beyond Soundscape – SARC, Belfast, Northern Ireland :: 4-channel installation
– Ephèmére – Studio Loos, The Hague, Netherlands :: 4-ch live performance
– HS63 – Brussels, Belgium :: 4-ch live performance
– FON Air Radio – Cumbria, UK :: premiere broadcast